Each Sunday morning, children leave Sunday School with a Family Activity Page that encourages discussion and activities at home to reinforce what is being learned in the classroom.
Children and Worship
Children at St. Mark’s are an important part of our community. We welcome children of all ages and encourage their participation in worship services.
By worshiping with the community of faith, children:
- Come to know the liturgy, music, and prayers
- Hear stories from the Bible read and interpreted, and begin to experience church as one place where God may speak to them
- Participate in the sacraments of Baptism and Eucharist
- Learn that they are welcome in God’s church
Members of the Parish
In keeping with the commitment we make at the time of baptism, all members play a part in the spiritual development of our youngest members. Participating in worship with children is one way to be involved this process.
- Express your delight in having children in worship services. Be sure to welcome families and children when you see them.
- Include children in parts of the service (i.e. passing of the Peace and the Offering plate) when appropriate.
- Free yourself from worry about children’s behavior. Be open to receiving their ministry to you and the St. Mark’s community.
Know that this community is enriched by your family’s presence. Let your children see you participate and enjoy the service-they learn liturgical behavior by watching you. When needed, feel free to quietly explain the parts of the service.
Children’s Worship Totes are available in the Narthex. These totes contain children’s bulletins and activities that can make their worship experience more meaningful.
Children’s Chapel is available during the 9.00am service during the program year and 10.00am during the summer and Advent for pre-school and elementary-aged children. Here, they will participate in music, storytelling and activities that reenforce the day’s lesson. Children can be dropped off before the service on the 2nd Floor. Children will be escorted back to the worship service during the passing of the Peace.
Sometimes young children need a time and place to play in their own space, so Nursery care is available on Sundays from 8.30am-12.30am on the first floor of the Parish House.
Feel free to take children into the Narthex or out in the courtyard if a break is needed. However, please return for the Eucharist, as this is an important part of our worship service and an opportunity for families to come to God’s table together.
Children who are baptized are always welcome to participate in Eucharist. If they do not yet receive the gifts of the Eucharist, they can cross their arms across their chests and receive a blessing from a clergy member.
For any questions regarding our Children’s Ministries, contact Cathy Villani at 210-226-2426 or